I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 12 February 2013

Seeing red!



Hello everyone, and welcome (back) to Words and Pictures.  It's time for a new challenge over at Fun With ATCs today, and the theme is Something Red.

I'm not sure I'm qualified to offer you inspiration for this particular challenge.  As you'll know if you saw my version of the Tim's February tag, I'll go out of my way to avoid crafting in red!

In fact, when this challenge theme bobbed up I panicked slightly as I really don't have much red in my stash at all.  I've got a full set of Distress Markers, so that's two or three red(ish) pens, but beyond that...

So this ATC (Artist's Trading Card - size 2.5 x 3.5 inches for any newbies) was created out of "found" things, and leftovers, and also some "borrowed" things.









And I couldn't bring myself to go entirely red so it's just as well the Challenge allows you to feature red as just part of your ATC.

The first thing I "found" was the berry paper used on the lettering.  It's cut from some ancient paper bags from Liberty (I'm talking probably 30-35 years I've been storing up these little gift bags).   Sometimes never throwing things away pays off, you see (though not when you're having to sort all the way through it).










I loved that the pattern combined my current favourite turquoise tones with some red berries, and seized on it as the solution to my red difficulties.  I cut up one of the bags and stuck the paper onto some chipboard, before running it through the BigShot with the fabulous TH WordPlay die.

The red berries on the paper made me realise that I do have a large number of actual red berries - well, no, not actual living red berries, but rather beautiful fake ones - amongst my Christmas decorations.







So I "borrowed" some of those...  so there'll be a couple of berries the fewer for twisting onto the holly branches next year, so what?  Holly prickles are dangerous things to decorate.  For the ATC I twisted them onto some bare twigs from the garden - much less painful!

The background is made with a page torn out of one of my old German books with the lovely Gothic font.  It was lying around one day when I needed to clean off a paintbrush I'd been using with my favoured turquoise shades, so I wiped the paint off onto the page.  I decided I really liked the shabby look of it.  As I was assembling my ingredients, my eye happened to fall on it and, lo and behold, it toned in beautifully.






I stuck it onto some thick chipboard to give the ATC strength enough to hold the berries and twigs.  It all looked a bit sharp and smart, so I ripped and shredded the edges for a more rustic look, and that was pretty much that!

It's been amazing having so many of you playing along at Fun With ATCs recently.  I hope you'll hop on over and see what my fantastic team mates have come up with to inspire you - there are some amazing projects.  And I hope you'll find time to play along.  I can't wait to see what you come up with for this Something Red challenge... I know many of you are far bigger fans of the colour than I am!!






If you're looking for a way to kill time (yeah, right!), I've got a post over at Artistic Outpost today too: a little trip down memory lane... anybody remember this from the sneak peek?  Definitely more my colour comfort zone!

For now, thanks so much for stopping by, and I'll see you again soon, either here or elsewhere in Craftyblogland.

“Red", I write "is the color of life. It's blood, passion, rage. It's menstrual flow and after birth. Beginnings and violent end. Red is the color of love. Beating hearts and hungry lips. Roses, Valentines, cherries. Red is the color of shame. Crimson cheeks and spilled blood. Broken hearts, opened veins. A burning desire to return to white.” 
From Pretty Face, Mary Hogan
Hmm... well, give me blue any day!

23 comments:

Yvonne Garner said...

You crack me up Alison with your 35 year old paper bags! I can only imagine what else you will pull out of your hat! Great take on the ATC challenge.

Inkypinkycraft said...

well not being a red girl either I get your problem, great take on the challenge and I agree give me blue any day! hugs trace x

chrissie said...

I thought I had been transported to the wrong blog when I saw the red. This is terrific and your 'treasures' go on for ever.

Great to know all about 'red'--I knew I didn't like it and now I know why.

Love Chrissie xx

froebelsternchen said...

just yummie!

Abd the Fall in Love Tag is gorgelous Alison!

Gio said...

It's not your usual combo, but it's lovely anyway. And so summerish!

Astrid Maclean said...

Certainly different Alison and I have to say I totally get your "red" problem... Did you know it's most children's favourite colour? I guess we are too adult... Anyways, well done for coming up with something! Have to say though, the shabby twig heart is much more up my street!!

Deborah said...

So inventive, Alison. I have to say, I love red but I don't think I use it very much in art and craft. It's such an in your face colour.

Redanne said...

Hi Alison, well as a fellow 30+ year bag hoarder myself, I love red, but I guess that makes sense with a name like mine! Your ATC has just the right amount of red on in my opinion, lovely pops of colour and great lettering. It is a beauty. Hugs, Anne x

craftytrog said...

It looks great, & I love your supply list! I have a collection of berries on wire that came from crackers at Christmas! Lol!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Fabulous in red too Alison, although it's good to see your usual colours there too!! No problem at all with old bags - Oh! that doesn't sound quite right! lol! Being the hoarder that I am I still have stuff that I used at college! Chrisx

Nan G said...

Nicely done, butterfly. :) Love the ancient paper bag and what you've done with it! Now that you've dipped your toe into red you may be back. Just look at turquoise. :)

Bonnie Irvine said...

What an unexpected and delightful colour scheme. The background is gorgeous and contrasts wonderfully with the strong colours on the letters. Love the berries and twigs...you include items from nature so creatively and artistically.

Anonymous said...

LOL
There is something so charming and with a touch of whimsy.
I find this to be very adorable.
Wishes
Lynne

ionabunny said...

Nice, but I agree with you, blue is better, best, bestest

Brenda Brown said...

I think your reds have worked really well, but I know what you mean about the colour.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

I just have to laugh...I knew you hated red! You gotta NOT! It's the best color! Love your berries!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A great ATC, love the letters.

Janny Jager said...

Very very beautiful ATC Alison.

Greetings Janny

Sandy said...

Now when you get to be my age and you save all this stuff then they will call you a hoarder and then little creatures move in with you and then the neighbors complain and then your disappear under a mountain of saved goodies and are not seen for a very long time and then the police are called to investigate only to find a little old lady creating the most wonderful art.
Alison you know that I love every jot and tittle you do and find you so inspiring.
Sandy

Sue said...

Love it Alison, the German text is wonderful, and I love your berries. I'm not a huge red fan either, both my children wore it as school uniform for years so I've seen enough to last a lifetime xx

Chris said...

Well you got round the red brilliantly and I love how your ATC turned outx

maj. said...

What a glorious ATC, Alison!!!

Lucy Edmondson said...

I'm still here, still catching up on your gorgeous makes! I love this, love the letters in their red glory. I am supposed to be making food for a party and whilst I've been sitting here looking at your art, Colin has been out with my shopping list and come back now. Better not get so behind in future1

Lucy x