I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Wednesday 13 April 2016

Encore - A little bit of inspiration

Encore Posts
While I'm away, there are some scheduled posts with new creations coming your way, but I'm also taking the chance to do some catching up here at Words and Pictures.   Projects which made their first appearances elsewhere for Design Team duties or Guest Designer opportunities, but which only had a sneak peek here, are being gathered together in the pages of my virtual scrapbook.  I'm calling them "Encore" posts and they're formatted differently (all the way down the centre), so you can spot them easily.
Please don't feel that you have to comment all over again!

This is the last Encore for a little while (there's some new stuff coming your way!), and to be honest I'm not sure whether this really is an Encore...  I don't think that it ever put in an appearance anywhere, even though it was meant for eclectic Paperie (now embraced by The Funkie Junkie Boutique) way back in March 2013.  I think I had this little booklet ready just before I left the team, so I'm not sure it even got an outing at eP.  There again, the post seems to have been ready and written, so maybe it did.  In any case, if it doesn't ring any bells it's probably not your memory going funny on you!  But here's what I wrote back then...
___________________________

Hello all, and I'm very happy to be here at eclectic Paperie to share another project with you.


This one is a very simple little ATC book (I seem to have a thing about handmade books), with lots of little pockets - brilliant for using up paper scraps when you really want to make the most of every last little bit of your favourite papers!


It's a tiny book of uplifting and thought-provoking words and phrases, so that you can turn to it for a little bit of inspiration when in need.  And of course you can add more phrases, or other memorabilia, pictures and ephemera as time goes on... plenty of room in those pockets.


I started with six of the Inkssentials natural canvas ATCs.  One of the great things about these is that they are sticky-backed, so you get all the great canvas texture and you can apply it really easily to cardstock or chipboard to create a really sturdy, dimensional ATC.


I adhered my six ATCs to some kraft cardstock, and then started juggling with my papers.  These are from the Basic Grey Serenade set.  I worked out I had enough to do a couple of ATC-sized pages and a couple of "pockets" out of each of my selected papers.


I wanted to leave plenty of the canvas on display, and also to keep things pretty minimalist, so I kept my pockets nice and simple: a plain rectangle, alternating (mostly) between vertical and horizontal positioning.


And I gave the canvas a good going over with the Vintage Photo Distress Ink to really highlight all that lovely texture.


I thought about doing some stamping on the canvas, which I always love the look of, but I was quite enjoying the clean lines of the whole thing (couldn't bear to leave out the distressing though!)... it's probably the nearest I'll ever get to a CAS project!


All the sentiments - from the fabulous Donna Downey sets, Empowered Words and Art and Possibility - are also stamped onto paper scraps, so they look pretty cute either way up, and they've also had a touch of the Vintage Photo DI of course.


On each facing page, the design paper side, I've added one of the larger sentiments, stamped on plain white cardstock and inked to tone in with the rest of the look.


I particularly love this Picasso quote... and I've tried to match the quotes in the pockets with my "main" quotes each time - I've tried to create satisfying groupings that "speak" to each other.


Another sentiment stamp serves as the title on the front cover (in the picture at the top of the post), and I've stamped some of the Hero Arts Music Background to surround the title, and all over the back cover.  This stamp is designed to coordinate with the Serenade music paper that I've used on the inside, so it fits in with the overall look beautifully.


Finally I added the little corner pieces cut with the ATC and Corners die by Tim Holtz onto the front and back covers.  I love the "finished" look it gives.


The binding is incredibly simple too (seriously, you can knock up a whole little album in well under an hour) - just some crinkle ribbon dyed with Vintage Photo Distress Stain, and tied through the punched holes to give a pretty bow at the front.


I had to do a little bit of retying to get the tension right, so that the pages would turn easily without the whole thing flopping about uncontrollably, but that was about the hardest thing in the whole project - and, really, what's so hard about tying a bow a couple of times!?


Thanks so much for stopping by today.  I do hope my ATC inspiration album has given you a little bit of inspiration to go off and create something yourself.  See you again soon...
______________________________

So, that's about your lot for today.  There's a brand new project up next here at Words and Pictures in just a few days... in fact, quite a few new projects in a row, plus a first little travel update for you, so I'll hope to see you again soon.  Happy Crafting all!

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.
From The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

11 comments:

Helen said...

this is fabulous! I don't remember seeing it before, so a real treat for us. Looking forward to your travel update and new projects!

Lauren Hatwell said...

I don't remember this one either. thanks so much for reminding us how beautiful it is. Great idea. Lx

Meggymay said...

Fabulous book, not sure I saw this first time either.
Yvonne xx

Marci said...

Wonderful little book! I like the quotes, and the simplicity.

Dorthe said...

It is a beautiful book with its neutral toned pages and pockets, so lovely in the earth colors.
I love the quote `s, too ,they all speak to me, and you truly inspire ,with each and every amazing creation, posted, dear Alison.
Dorthe, xoxo

maj. said...

A really gorgeous book, love the colours!

Rika said...

Gorgeous book, beautiful colours.

Shirley said...

Absolutely delightful Alison everything looks as if it is wrapped up nicely.

Not been around blogland for a while so off to see all that I have missed.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous little book! A great idea to add pockets for the quotes too! Hope you are getting some free time! Hugs, Chrisx

Matilde said...

It's really lovely!

maria's knutselplezier said...

What a nice quotes book, I love the simplicity of it, earth tomes, grown letters!! what a nice present to make or to receive!!!

Have fun!!

Maria